Prey – Recover your stolen Laptop with this tool
Prey is a small, handy, easy to use application specially designed to enable you to keep track of your phone or laptop at all times, and will help you find it if it ever gets lost or stolen.
Basically you install a tiny agent in your PC or phone, which silently waits for a remote signal to wake up and work its magic.
This signal is sent either from the Internet or through an SMS message, and allows you to gather information regarding the device’s location, hardware and network status, and optionally trigger specific actions on it.
NOTE: To use this tool, you will need to create an account.
Here are some key features of “Prey”:
100% geolocation aware:
· Prey uses either the device’s GPS or the nearest WiFi hotspots to triangulate and grab a fix on its location. It’s shockingly accurate.
· If enabled, Prey will attempt to hook onto to the nearest open WiFi hotspot when no Internet connection is found.
Light as a feather:
· Prey has very few dependencies and doesn’t even leave a memory footprint until activated. We care as much as you do.
Know your enemy:
· Take a picture of the thief with your laptop’s webcam so you know what he looks like and where he’s hiding. Powerful evidence.
Watch their movements:
· Grab a screenshot of the active session — if you’re lucky you may catch the guy logged into his email or Facebook account!
Keep your data safe:
· Hide your Outlook or Thunderbird data and optionally remove your stored passwords, so no one will be able to look into your stuff.
No unauthorized access:
· Fully lock down your PC, making it unusable unless a specific password is entered. The guy won’t be able to do a thing!
Scan your hardware:
· Get a complete list of your PC’s CPU, motherboard, RAM, and BIOS information. Works great when used with Active Mode.
Full auto updater:
· Prey can check its current version and automagically fetch and update itself, so you don’t need to manually reinstall each time.